2.27.2011

Lots of layers

The technique was found in the Autumn 2010 Somerset apprentice magazine. I used it for my composition book cover posted back in Dec 2010.
Start with a sturdy material, chipboard or heavy weight paper.
Then layer your first color using acrylic paints and just move the pain around with your fingers. I used several colors of blue and white to get my effect. I may have used a brush too. Leave the paint thick in spots and then use a heat tool to dry the page. This makes the thick areas crackle and bubble. Then use brown distress ink and cover the whole surface. Then spritz with water and scrub the ink off certain areas.
Using a brayer I add white gesso to areas mostly around the edges.
Then I used dark brown Stazon ink to stamp script and a few quotes.
I added a piece of old music sheet. Then I stamped the nest and bird.
I added some stickles to the flowers around the nest. It takes overnight for everything to dry well. Then I brushed gel medium over the whole cover. I did the back cover with the same technique but did not add the stamped images. This was a lot of fun to do. I did two books at the same time so I could let them dry in at the same time. They each looked a little different.  I will probably due a few more for presents.
I just started the "Remains of the Day" class with Mary Ann Moss. So I expect to be totally immersed in these for a bit. I am hoping to get my mom interested. She has always been a quilter and sewing was her passion, until she lost the feeling in her hands and has a hard time with the precision of quilting. I think these journals maybe just the ticket for her. On my way home tonight.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't comment directly to the slide show, so I'll do it here: I LOVE your altered dictionary. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have time and interest, I'd be honored to have you check out a little project I'm trying to get off the ground! I'd be happy to extend the mailing date if necessary.
    http://acommunityartproject.blogspot.com/2011/02/project.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing your technique. I did the ROD journal almost 2 years ago and I'm still enjoying the group. Hope your Mom loves it too.

    ReplyDelete